Gardening and football sometimes compete for your time in the fall. There is a strong desire to watch football, at least on some level, but one knows that the garden may need attention as well. If you need to be in an office or any other work setting during the week, it is hard to program gardening duties AND football into your schedule for the weekend. I know being a true fan of both activities that you will somehow manage to figure it out!
Easy fall gardening projects to do between games:
- Plant a few rows of fall vegies that mature quickly like lettuce, arugula, radishes or fall garlic.
- Do a quick fertilizer application of Winterizer to your lawn in early September.
- Pick a fertilizer that has moderate nitrogen levels and high potassium for strong root growth.
- If your soil is heavy and compacted now is a good time to aerate (you can always hire this task out to someone else!).
- Renovate fall beds and containers with colorful pansies (they love cool weather), mums, flowering kale, golden yellow celosia, ornamental peppers, and fall grasses.
- Plant fall bulbs such as tulips, daffodils and crocus for early spring color.
- Move houseplants indoors that may have spent the summer on the patio.
- Be sure to treat for insects before moving inside.
Learn more or ask us a question about products, availability or hours!