This is the month to enjoy the results of your hard work in the garden: the heady scents, glorious colors, and the fruits and vegies you may be harvesting at this time. Why not preserve some of those vegies to enjoy next winter? Check out all the canning supplies at Wagners Minneapolis location and some of the recipes in the “Mason Jar Salads” book. What a conversation piece if you serve your salad at the next BBQ or dinner party in a mason jar! It will be a hit! I’m sharing my Grandmother’s prize recipe for Pickled Green Beans with you. Those fresh beans out of your garden or from the farmer’s market will taste great!
Pickled Green Beans Recipe:
- Use fresh green beans, washed, cleaned and ends removed.
- Cook beans in water for about 10-15 minutes then cool immediately in cold water and drain.
- Pack into sterilized jars and add a garlic clove and some dill.
- Bring 1 gallon water, 1 cup of salt (uniodized), and 1 cup of white vinegar and ½ teaspoon alum to boil.
- Pour liquid over beans in jar and seal.
- Ready to eat in one month!
While the kids are home from school, and you have trouble keeping them entertained and busy, treat them to a “miniature garden workshop”at our Penn Ave location this Saturday. They will be so proud of their finished design and so will you! Of course, you will want to be included in the event too! Call for details and to make reservation.
Learn more or ask us a question about products, availability or hours!