It’s time for poinsettias! Here are a few tips to keep your plant lush and healthy throughout the holidays and beyond:
- Pick a plant where the yellow flower buds in the middle of the colored bracts are unopened.
- Poinsettias originate in Mexico so they don’t like drafts or cold temperatures. We’ll wrap it up well for you to transport but be sure you go straight home and not leave it in a cold car while you run other errands.
- At home, unpack it immediately. The plant will produce ethylene gas inside the wrapping if left too long and may become “droopy”.
- Cut the sleeve from top to bottom to unwrap and prevent damage.
- Water when the plant feels light when picked up or check the soil with your finger, about an inch deep, and see if it feels dry. Be sure to check your plant every few days as the soil should be kept moderately moist but not wet.
- Be sure to drain excess water from the pot cover or saucer as they do not like to sit in water.
- Place in bright, indirect light out direct sunlight.
- Average home temperature of around 68-72 degrees are ideal.
With these simple tips, your plant should last well in to the holidays and beyond. We trust you will have a wonderful holiday season, be it Christmas or Hanukkah, with friends and family!