Now that your outdoor “clean-up” is done, or nearly so, you can start thinking about indoor color for winter. Flowering bulbs are so rewarding, colorful, and easy to grow indoors. Paperwhite narcissus have long been a favorite and no wonder! The fragrant, white flowers brighten any room and are easy to grow inside. Amaryllis bulbs are another great choice for indoor winter color.
How To Plant and Care for Paperwhite Narcissus:
- Plant them in a shallow bowl (3” to 4” deep) in a layer of pebbles about 6 weeks before you want them to flower.
- Make sure that about 1/3 of the bulbs show above the pebbles. You may also plant them in potting soil and cover the top with a layer of pebbles for a decorative touch.
- Water until moisture just touches the bottom of the bulbs.
- Place in a cool dark area until the roots begin to grow then move them to a brighter spot to finish growing and flowering. When placed in bright light, turn the container every day to keep the stems straight.
How To Plant and Care for Amaryllis Bulbs:
- Plant the bulbs in an 8” or 10” clay pot with a saucer.
- Plant 2/3 of the bulb in potting soil, keeping the top 1/3 of the bulb above the soil line and water well.
- When the roots become active, move them to a brighter spot.
- Blooms should appear in about 6 to 8 weeks. Turn the pot a quarter turn each day to help keep the stems straight.
These bulbs will brighten your winter days and add a color splash to your indoor space. Shop now for the best selection.
Learn more or ask us a question about products, availability or hours!